Suburb Profile - Redcliffe
This suburb name originates from the early days of the Colony when Captain Mark John Currie set to work, developing his grant of 2,560 acres on the Swan River in the vicinity of the current day Redcliffe. In early 1831, Currie constructed a brick homestead on the property near where Water Street is now situated and called it "Redcliff". In official records dated 1846, the name of the property was spelt "Redcliffe" and it appears this spelling was the commonly adopted one from the early 1840s onwards. The area was subdivided in 1897.