Suburb Profile - Welshpool


This suburb derives its name from Welshpool Road. The name of the road was known as early as 1889 and one account stated that an early market gardener, Benjamin Dewing (born in Welshpool in Wales) had named his property after the Welsh town. The area was known as Welshpool as early as 1895, but in 1908 local residents petitioned to have the Welshpool station changed to Canterbury.